How did you get started with your career – and how does your current role reflect your personal aesthetic?
I studied graphic design and marketing for my Bachelor of Arts at Curtain University of Western Australia. I then started working in publishing as a Graphic Designer and Art Director over Vogue in Australia & London before starting my own business; Steph Adams Creative as well as my blog http://www.stephadams.com which is an inspirational blog on beauty, fashion & lifestyle. It’s also an outlet for other brands and clients to get noticed online.
Cultural trends constantly change. What do you do to stay relevant, connected, and ahead of the curve?
I am travelling quite a lot and I find this helps to stay on top of trends as well as providing inspiration for new projects.
How do you keep track of your personal and business goals – and stay creative at the same time (even when you’re exhausted)?
I try and live a balanced and healthy lifestyle to stay on top of everything. I definitely need my sleep if I want to keep up the creativity. Usually if I need inspiration, I will go for a run or walk just to clear my head.
How important are mentors? Who is your mentor?
My husband has been a great mentor to me and my best friend.
What is your advice for women entering creative fields or starting their own business?
That you really must love what you do before you go out and do it, because there are a lot of hard yards and nothing comes easy. Hard work definitely pays off.
- Place that inspires me the most… Every new place you go to is inspiring in a different way, my favourite is the South of France.
- I feel most powerful when… I’ve just had a boxing session.
- I love what I do because… I help people build their brands and businesses and it’s what they are most passionate about and that makes me happy when I see others also achieving their goals.
- My idea of success is… I think if you have your health and love what you do as well as having loving family and friends around you, then you are successful.
- Best advice I have ever received… “You have a brain in your head and feet in your shoes, you can move yourself whichever way you choose.” – Dr Seuss
About Steph Adams:
Steph Adams is a former-model-turned-art-director-and-designer who has been working in the fashion industry and collaborating with brands for over 20 years. She is the founder of Steph Adams Creative, a boutique design studio with a fashion, beauty, and lifestyle clientele -specializing in luxury and commercial branding. She also runs StephAdams.com, a lifestyle blog that documents her musings on beauty, fashion, photography and travel. Her works have been featured on British Vogue, Vogue Australia, Elle, Net-a-porter, Conde Nast Traveller, Harpers Bazaar (UK & AUS), Grazia, Vogue Living, Marie Claire (UK & AUS), House and Garden, Gourmet Traveller, Vogue Entertaining and Travel, Fox Sports, Channel Nine, Donna Hay, Stylerunner, Ausmode, Styledby, Miss Moncur, etc.